It takes a lot for me to stop liking a friend, but I’m really ticked off at someone in my life. In fact, this former friend is jumping up and down on my last nerve so much I’m thinking about breaking up.
Who is this terrible friend, you might ask?
Recently Facebook has changed its policies for public pages, and I’m wondering if it’s still worth it. For example, we have over 800 likes on Facebook, but a post I checked last night was only seen by 11 people.
I wondered how this is even possible, and here is a video I watched from Rob Eager’s Monday Morning Marketing Tip that explains. (Please take a few minutes…it was completing eye-opening and surprising information for me.)
Note: If you are a subscriber, click on the title to watch the video and read the remainder of the post.
You can also click here to see what Rob has to say. (While you’re there, sign up for his Monday email…so worth the time every week!)
If you have a private page, some of these problems aren’t as acute for you, but if you have a public page, it’s a huge problem unless you want to pay for your posts to be “boosted”.
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Are you still in love with Facebook? Do you have a private page or a public page? Do you still think using Facebook to get your message out as a speaker or author is worth it?
Also, as some of you may or may not be aware, Facebook is only allowing about 10% of our audience to view our posts on their News Feed. That means about 90% of you may miss a new post from us on your News Feed unless you go directly to our page. To ensure you are receiving the latest updates with daily encouragement and links to fabulous resources:
- Head over to the Next Step Speaker Services Facebook page.
- Click on “Like” if you haven’t already. If you have, skip to the next step.
- Click on the arrow (or gear?) beside “Like”.
- Click on “Add to Interest Lists”
- Follow the directions through, and you will see your Interest List on the left side of your News Feed.
If you’d like more information on Interest Lists, here’s the scoop from Facebook.
What are Interest Lists?
Interest lists are an optional way to organize the content you’re interested in on Facebook. You can create your own interest lists based on the things you care about. For example, you could create a Top Favorite Apps list that features all the apps you play and like.
When you create list, you’ll see the best posts from that list in your main news feed. Your lists will also appear in the Interests section of your bookmarks. Simply click the list’s name to see all the recent posts and activity from the Pages featured in the list, without overwhelming your main news feed.
How do I create an Interest List?
- Go to your Interests page and click the Add Interests button.
- Click Create List.
- Search for the Pages you want to add to your list using the search box at the top of the screen, or use the categories on the left to browse.
- After you’ve selected all of the things you want to include on your list, click next.
- Pick a name for your list.
- Select a privacy setting (learn more). Choose Public if you want others to be able to subscribe to the list you’ve created.
- Click Done.